Thursday, January 3, 2013

Personal Hygiene

Personal Hygiene

Believe it or not, you can have environmentally friendly hygiene without being a dirty hippy. I was surprised too. Here are some easy and very cheap ways to keep your hygiene green!

Shampoo & Conditioner

This is what is called the No-Poo Shampoo method, which really has two methods. But to understand this, you first need to understand what regular shampoo does to your hair and scalp. The theory is that traditional shampoos strip your hair and scalp of its natural oils. Then your scalp over compensates and produces more oil, giving you even greaser hair than when you started. Then what do you need? More shampoo to get rid of that extra oil of course! So a never ending shampoo-oil battle ensues. 

One method to break this cycle is to simply stop shampoo (and conditioning) your hair, so that the your scalp can rebalance its oils. Eventually your scalp will produce less oil so there's no need for shampooing. But this method can take months before your natural oils (aka nasty greasy hair) goes back to normal. I tried this method once and didn't even last a week. I couldn't stand it! If I didn't have to work or go out in public for a few months maybe I could have succeeded but this method is just inconvenient and I'm sure you'd all agree.

Then I found a different method for the No-Poo Shampoo that won't leave you feeling greasy and smelly! (Link here) Oh joy! lol. 

Ingredients:

Baking Soda
Vinegar (I prefer Apple Cider)
A few drops of Essential Oils (opt.)
Two condiment squirt bottles

1. Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water in one bottle.

2. Mix 1 part Vinegar to 4 parts water in other bottle.

3. Shake baking soda solution, apply to dry scalp, and massage for a few minutes then rinse.

4. Apply vinegar solution for a few seconds and rinse again.

I was surprised how clean my hair was after using this. The baking soda works to clean your scalp and the vinegar helps to get rid of any extra oil. And you don't have to be very strict with the directions. I usually just guess how much baking soda and vinegar to use. Sometimes I don't even use the vinegar solution if my hair isn't too oily. Since finding this No-Poo method, I have yet to buy real shampoo because it works so well and its cheap.

Body Wash / Bar Soap

You can find more eco friendly bar soaps at places like Whole Foods, online, or even at farmers markets. How can a bar of soap be eco friendly you ask? Well I guess what I really mean is soap that is more natural. Less questionable chemicals gives for a better environment and healthier skin (especially for people with sensitive skin).

But if you're more of a Body Wash kind of person, I have a cheap solution for you. You can make your own body wash using your favorite bar soap! Check out this link here for an easy recipe for body wash.

Toothpaste

I just discovered this toothpaste recipe (link here) and I'm really excited about it. There's no bad chemicals, its great for your teeth, cheap to make, and it really does leave your mouth feeling fresh. 

2/3 cup baking soda
3 tsp salt (optional - if you don't mind the saltiness)
2 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
water to desired consistency

Just dip your toothbrush in and brush away. No trip to the grocery store for real toothpaste needed!




Teeth Whitening

Teeth whitening products (strips, paste, you name it) are great for whitening teeth but not so great for your wallet. These products are frankly a rip off and I'll tell you why. The main ingredient in most of these products is hydrogen peroxide. How much does a bottle of hydrogen peroxide cost? Not even a dollar. How much do most whitening products cost? Anywhere from 30 to 100 dollars. If you want white teeth for a fraction of this price, just rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide anywhere from once a day to once a week until you reach your desired results. You're welcome :)

Deodorant

Yes, you can even make your own deoderant. I have yet try this but here are a few links if you're curious. Most deodorant recipes call for just baking soda, coconut oil, cornstarch, and sometimes beeswax pellets.


1 comment:

  1. I know what I'm doing tonight...making toothpaste - no, scratch that - making Clairepaste. YES!

    ReplyDelete